Something quite different from my norm over here 🍰
Special occasion calls for a quick birthday cake whip up.
I certainly can’t say that this one falls under the “whole foods” category, but a treat here or there isn’t such a bad thing.. especially if you already consume a whole foods plant based diet.
Here we’ve got a classic chocolate cake, covered in a chocolate hazelnut spread (a homemade alternative to Nutella), and topped off with some choc hazelnut crumbs. 🍫
Quite a rich (and delicious) little number - but very very easy to make!
A little handy fact for an egg replacement:
Mix 1 tbsp. ground flaxseeds with 3 tbsp of water and let sit for 5 minutes. One of these creations is equal to one egg.
For the cake:
1 cup Castor Sugar
1 cup Cocoa
1 & 1/3 cups Plain flour
1 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp. Vanilla essence
1 cup soy milk
2tbsp ground flaxseed
1/2 cup dates (modify quantity to taste)
2 cups hazelnuts
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp soy milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup hazelnuts
1/4 cup dates
1.4 cup cocoa
1.Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees celsius.
2.Mix 2 tbsp. of flaxseed with 6 tbsp of water, let sit for 5 minutes.
3. In a bowl, sift flour and combine all dry ingredients.
4. Add flaxseed, soy milk and vanilla essence to bowl and mix thoroughly.
5. Line a cake tin with baking paper and pour in mixture.
6. Place in oven for around 40 minutes or until a skewer/fork inserted in the middle comes out clean.
For the Nutella:
1. Place dates, hazelnuts, vanilla essence and coca in a blender and blend.
2. Stir the mixture ensuring it is all combined.
3. Add the soy milk and blend again until you reach a desired consistency.
1. Blend hazelnuts, dates and cacao.
It’s so easy to make simple substitutions in recipes and create a completely vegan alternative. 🌱
Happy baking 👩🍳