A quick, easy, healthy meal which can be made in advance.
Follow the recipe below or simply use up some leftovers/ingredients that need to be eaten by transforming them into a different meal.
•1 tbsp olive oil
•1 red onion
•1 tsp garlic powder or 1 clove
•2 tsp ground cinnamon
•1 tsp turmeric
•1 cup cooked freaked
•1 tin brown lentils
•10 pitted dates, chopped
•1 tin crushed tomatoes
1. Preheat oven to 200ºC (180ºC fan-forced) and line a tray or oven-proof dish with baking paper.
2. Halve eggplants lengthways. Scoop out the insides of the eggplant and set aside.
3. Place eggplant shells in the oven while you prepare the filling.
4. Heat oil in a medium pan over medium heat, sauté onion until golden.
5. Add garlic, grated carrot and spices and simmer for a few minutes until fragrant.
6. Add eggplant flesh, freekeh, lentils, tomatoes and dates.
7. Remove the eggplants from the oven and fill with the couscous and lentil mixture.
Did you know?
The rich purple pigment present in eggplants is due to a compound called anthocyanin, which has antioxidant effects in the body.